Friday, April 15, 2016

I gave Weezer's "Weezer (White Album)" three listens and I gotta say it's pretty good, plus the last album was good too

Weezer released Weezer (White Album) this month, on April 1, 2016. Being an old school fan of this band, and even having covered some of their songs, and even having taught myself to play guitar by playing along to Weezer, I gave it a shot, and an honest one—I listened to it three times from front to back. Being a short album, that wasn't an issue.



I give you my three-part review of Weezer's Weezer (White Album).

tl;dr: I hated it, then I loved it

LISTEN 1

First impressions:

img source
The first songs suck. Were you paid off, Fantano, to say that this album is good, Pinkerton-level? Have you forgotten what made Pinkerton great? It was raw. Squawking with feedback. Loosely played guitar, drums, and vocals. Silly. Intensely personal, going to dark places within the self. Raw!

“Do You Wanna Get High" is  a deliberate attempt to sound like Pinkerton (FIND THE SONG). It's a half-hearted attempt, as its cleanliness makes the sincerity incensere. It falls flat. But, I am gonna smoke some pot now. So Rivers did do that for me. And who’s Bacharach? Burt, right? What was he from? But, this all does make me happy. Dammit. Good song.

"King of the World" gets tiresome. Again, sounds like a Pinkerton song (FIND SONG). It’s got this newschool style I don’t like. It’s like it takes Pinkerton and makes it modern. Which, makes sense. Rivers and crew did make a new album. They did all make Pinkerton together. Still, it doesn’t have that sense of pain. The band is too successful, too comfortable now. They must have too many yes men around.

The “only 16” line got me in the next song. Ensuing guitar solo is half-hearted, but good for pop. This is coming from a guitar-soloing-playing-loving metal guy, but I think most people love the same things I do. White Album, IMO, would have sounded better if it were just the band, in a basement. Amateur producer. Make something raw again. The equivalent of Darkthrone’s Transilvanian Hunger but for Weezer. Or even the equivalent of Pinkerton! I still don't agree that it's at that level.

I don't know if the band can ever achieve that level again—which is both a good and bad thing.

Next song is annoying. “I love your long hair, but you just don’t care,” well she’s not supposed to care dude, who cares if you love it, you’re like, nothing. Who are you? Your name’s Rivers? Who let you in here? You do two great albums, like nine mediocre ones, and now you think you're Hugh Hefner mixed with Bill Murray?

The piano song is cool. "Jacked Up." Why do they die? Cool opening. Beatles-y. Like “Hey Bulldog.” Great song.

Next song starts like "Butterfly." The buildup to the full band part is like “In Dreams.” The rockout part plays it out. It’s pretty beautiful and triumphant. Classic wheezer sound.

Wait, why is it no longer playing? Did Spotify make a 5-song-and-done rule? Oh wait I’m high, it’s the end of the album.

Now lemme listen to "California Kids" again.

LISTEN 2

Okay I get it. This resonates with me now. Plus, I agree with the sentiment. The California kids will show you the sunshine. Have you seen Burger Records? Where do you think that whole beach-echo-chill sound (chill wave) is coming from? It’s all Cali, bro!

"(Girl We Got A) Good Thing" is cool.

So I hated it, then I was medium on it, and now I like it. Possibly I'm an old curmudgeon. Maybe "Do You Wanna Get High" fell flat to me because I wasn't ready to let my guard down the way you have to if you want to fully enjoy Weezer. They are a consistently heartbreaking band.

LISTEN 3

3rd, drunken/stoned listen:
Yeah, that guitar-and-bell opening is cool. The way the guitar comes in, then the drums, the bass, the other guitar, gosh it's cool. Smooth. Like it was designed by a guy who's got experience knowing how to rock. And looky there, there's some feedback. It's not enough, but it's blessedly good. Ooh, more feedback. That lead guitar player likes that shit. He is the shit! Cool. I like him.

The California kids. They'll show you the starlight. What about Michigan kids? Old friends chillin back in Boston you never forgot. It's an admission of other scenes. It's okay that your other friends are far away, but you're in a good place now, take it or leave it, it is what it is, and it contains kids who will throw you a lifeline, and show you the starline. What more could you ask for in a place to live?

The very beginning to "Wind In Our Sail" sounds exactly like a Pinkerton song starts (FIND SONG). THEN IT GETS POPPY. Sorry, caps lock, I assure you. Ugh. Rivers. Rivers. Rivers. What is this. The lead guitar remains the best part. Drummer guy is really cool too, he's got an emo style, but when he throws that 90s swing beat thing in there, like in this song in a few places and fills, it's like.... yeah whatever, it's annoying to me, but these guys were famous in the 90s, it's where they first learned their craft, so let em do it. Now. Let em do it now.

I've never liked how "Thank God For Girls" started. Too swingy. 

"(Girl We Got A) Good Thing" makes me realize something. Why am I so annoyed that Rivers isn't full of pain anymore? He's married now. He's singing love songs to a partner he's with and to whom he's committed. And, obviously, duh, women don't want to date weirdos. They want guys who will sing songs about them and send them upwards to the clouds!

I've written my wife three songs I can think of off the top of my head, but we've been together 13 years now so my average isn't good. Rivers, you've made me want to write me wife more songs. Thank you, man. 

I wrote all that during "Do You Wanna Get High?" It carried me thru with positive feelings. And I wanted to mention that someone in the band says, right before the song starts, "Que the feedback!" Fucking awesome. They really do like the feedback. So okay Rivers and Co., especially you Brian Bell—fucking awesome. I was annoyed, but you've redeemed yourselves to this feedback, squawk-loving rock guitar nerd.

"King Of The World" is pretty awesome. Full fantasy stuff. Not intensely deep, but that's not important. This is Rivers' world. He admits we're small fish swimming together when it turns beach-meets-Surf Wax America for like 2 seconds, then into a more new-school refrain... jeez really? Throw a solo in there man, you don't need to do the same chorus three times. Two is enough.

"Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori" has lots of oh-ohs. Mermaid story? I don't care. It's like, full eeh. Full meh. "Paranoid Android" reference. Cool. Plz don't tell me it's Dori from "Finding Nemo," plz gawd.

Oh yeah, I think the current Pope would agree that the song featuring a picture of him on the single, is annoying, cause the dude put out an album with the King Crimson guitarist. He's into seventies prog. This new-school shit has got to have him smiling thru annoyance.

"L.A. Girlz" wow I hate this shit, stop complaining about girls. Next.

Fuck dude, you can't bottle a group of women up and say that they all act the same way. It's probably just an act, anyway. To impress people. Not you. Don't worry about it.

"Jacked Up" is pretty fun. Good minor key rhythms. Mid-tempo. I'd like to turn it into a black metal song. Think Rivers and Co. would agree to letting me do that? The vocals on this song really sell it, they're amazing—the words themselves, the way they're sung, the harmonizing, it's all great. "Why do they die?" has never been more plainly sung with such pain. But who is he talking about, some woman who's not his wife? Why doesn't he just water his flowers?

"Endless Bummer" is like, another sad song about a woman who's not his wife? I didn't listen too much to the lyrics. Fantano said it was about his wife so if that's the case then cool. I don't understand why it's so sad but it makes for good song material. It does seem to say that there's something fucked up and wrong with his wife, but... I mean there's fucked up stuff about me and my wife too and my parents too so who cares, why am I so judgemental? I'm not even going to listen to the lyrics, I'm too tired. Goodnight. Good Weezer album, this White Album. I'm giving it a light to a strong "I Like It" and "Good Album," and fuck it, I'll even throw in a "Way To Go, Guys!"

And for Everything Will Be Alright In The End, that album was pretty kickass too, esp the ending trilogy, way to go for that one as well, guys! Black Sabbath style, yah! Speak my language why don't you. Sort of a mix between Dethklok and Weezer.

fuck bitches get money

No comments:

Post a Comment