Sunday, October 12, 2014

How I Use Spotify

Turned the kettle on to boil, left the kitchen. Got distracted playing with the kids. Sat down at the computer. Heard the boiling sounds. Think it's some song I haven't heard yet on a playlist of mine. Must be coming from the computer. I'm sitting in front of the computer.

The point is my taste in music is weird.

Maybe not weird, but just all over the map. There's not much I can say I don't appreciate on some level. Boiling sounds from a mostly-empty metal kettle are not a far cry from some of the music I either like, or want to explore, and which I throw on my Spotify "Starred" playlist. And you know what, I like being all over the map.

Here's how Spotify helps me be all over the map, constantly devouring new music, ever exploring:

Your first question, as to whether it's free or not, is this: yes, with conditions. You'll get ads unless you fork over $5/month or something like that. Might be more, you check, I'm not paying. I just mute the ads.

They pause the ads when you mute it, an evil practice to be sure, but satisfiable to their ad-space-buying overlords. So just get used to hitting Mute, Play. Then pay attention to when the ad's over and un-mute appropriately. The topside keys on my MacBook Air are way too handy for this.

As for the devouring: I just find whole albums and throw them on the list (drag the album title to the column on the left). They're either from bands I know and love, or bands I want to become more familiar with. Spotify contains lots of recorded sound, from standup comedy to all sorts of music. Consequently, my "Starred" list is huge. I like everything (to the chagrin of my family at times).

Most things.

Then I set it to shuffle all (little icon down in the lower-right-corner or Command-S) and call it a big, giant experiment.

It takes some work, some controlling, some texturing. I'll be deleting songs here and there, or entire albums. When something comes up that I don't like, or is inappropriate for the kids, I'll just get it offa there. So the list is constantly evolving, shifting, becoming more pleasant while newer, unexplored album avenues and alleyways are added.

It's really fun. Spotify is cool. It's supposed to be free on your phone, but I can only get radio stations. But even those are fun.

Thanks, Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment