Thursday, November 17, 2011

What Spotify has taught me today

WowOverrated
Drake and Gym Class Heroes are annoying and they suck.

victim of modern production
Florence should slow down her vocals in the song Bedroom Hymns. Let a measure or two run by without any singing. It sounds rushed--like the song began as a slow-building piece, and her producer told her to speed it up to make it more poppy, more radio length. Cool song, though. I like how it's sorta gospel, sorta roots blues.

But then when I read myself describe those styles together as something cool, I hate myself. It sounds exactly like what those douchebag Rolling Stone music reviewers say to make all this new crap sound interesting.
Somebody likes these guys?

I talked to an adviser yesterday at skool and she said that all her friends make fun of her when she wants to listen to some Justin Beiber cause Spotify posts what you listen to on Facebook. But I can understand wanting to put some Beibs once in a while.

...but musically?
Lady Gaga is pretty annoying. She's better at visuals than audials.

Little Wayne can actually make some pretty chill grooves. This surprises me. I'm listening to She Will. Holy crap this song is dirty. Okay. My mind is blowing out my ears right now--not that LW is great, but that I'm enjoying letting him get me into his groove. Hate the lyrics, mostly. And I'll never listen to it again, because he's a spoiled brat of a motherfucker.
For idiots

Laconist is brutal and decrepit and I enjoy it.

The good music (for whatever taste you have) is out there, but you have to search for it. Sure, Spotify loves to throw music at you without you having to search, and that's a good thing. But it's not good music--it's just POPULAR music. Big difference.
More my style

Want to know the difference? Here ya go:
POPULAR music is for idiots
GOOD music is not popular
(definitions of terms "popular" and "good" may vary)

Yes I suppose I do like to set myself apart from the crowd. But it's only because the crowd holds nothing I want.

1 comment:

  1. Agree on most counts. From what I understand (from a co-worker who is WAY into popular music), Florence's first album was very rushed as they paid for only so much studio time. Apparently, they released a live album which sounds closer to what they were going for.

    Disagree on Beiber. I won't hold it against someone for listening, but that is objectively shit music. Just...awful.

    ReplyDelete