Monday, January 3, 2011

Boris: Smile, Kalot Enbolot: MCCCXLVIII

Last night, around 11 or so, I played music at work for the whole place to hear. It was the end of the night, my fellow employees and I were closing the place down, and the bluegrass band had just finished. I needed something attitudinal. I went for Boris' latest full-length Smile.

It sounds like maybe there's some traditional Japanese music influence in the way this band plays. It's almost as if they learned about music... IN JAPAN!!

It becomes most apparent to me when Wata solos over Takeshi and Atsuo's grooves. It's not exactly along with the beat, but it is really distorted, and emotional as all hell. It has this sound that's just kinda... I don't want to say crazy, but it sounds crazy.

In addition to that, her solos follow a way less rigid idea of meter and time than most American guitarists build their solos upon. Maybe it's more rigidly tuned to the structure of Japanese solo flute pieces, or that one instrument that's just a string on a board that makes that awesome fucking sound I can't name.... ever see Kung Fu Hustle? The blind guy who plays the instrument that shoots invisible swords--one of those things.

And this is particularly on the album Smile's first five or six tracks, and only at certain points. All of her solos, and all of Boris' musics for that matter, don't always sound the same--and that's what's great about Boris. I just brought it up cause, when I put the music in, I didn't expect what came out at me. It goes to show that you can never really truly know an album until you play it for a large group of people. You hear what they hear, what you hear, you see and sense their reactions, you notice things about the album you didn't before, etc. It's great.

Moving on.

Kalot Enbolot has an album out called MCCCXLVIII. It is pretty much standard awesome black death metal. They cover an Immortal song at the end of the album, and they pretty much sound like Immortal with twists of other bands in there.

They definitely have their own sound, but it also is really palatable to the standard black metal fan. Then the fourth track is totally clean tone and corny. Don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment